The key testimony against Kenya’s deputy president William Ruto has been thrown, following the judge’s decision to rule out the testimonies.
Ruto is accused by the ICC for committing war crimes during the Kenya’s post electoral violence of 2007.
Last Friday, the appeal judges ruled out the recanted statements against Kenya’s deputy president as inadmissible. This development has weakened the prosecutor’s case against William Ruto on the charges of committing war crimes in the post electoral violence of 2007.
Last year the judges had allowed for the recanted statement from the five witness to serve as evidence to the case against Ruto and his co-accused, radio broadcaster Joshua Sang on the grounds that the witness were likely intimidated or bribed to recant their statements.
In a unanimously agreed upon decision by the appeal judges, “the appeals chambers has decided to reverse the decision that…prior recorded testimony can be used,” was said by judge Piotr Hofmanski on Friday.
Judge Piotr Hofmanski also said, the trial judges had committed what is called a “legal error” by allowing the testimony in the first place, also adding that the accused were at a disadvantaged position because they wouldn’t have been able to cross examine the witnesses.