Telkom Kenya has issued a thirty-day notice to relevant authorities and company stakeholders, of an intended workforce-restructuring exercise.
In a terse statement to newsrooms, Telkom said it was considering laying off and terminating services of about 500 employees.
“Telkom has today issued the requisite thirty-day notice to relevant authorities and company stakeholders, of an intended workforce-restructuring exercise. In the statutory notice to the Ministry of Labour, Telkom Kenya has indicated that it is considering declaring about 500 employees, redundant,” said the statement.
Since 2016, Telkom has successfully rebranded, invested KSh14 Billion into its business to expand its network coverage, and launched 4G services and its MFS platform, T-kash. Telkom has initiated a revamped strategy to become the credible number two; The Challenger in the market.
The statement added, “To enable Telkom to invest more into the growth and sustainability of its business, it must align its cost structure and skill-set with its strategy. This requires Telkom to restructure its business, and as a result, this will impact the current and long-term needs of its workforce. This restructuring will enable Telkom to not only invest in its business but more importantly in its people.”
Telkom is adapting to market dynamics and changing consumer demands, to ensure that it delivers relevant and competitive products and services, added the statement.
“This will also ensure that Telkom becomes a stronger player in the market and grows its relationship with its business partners.”
Just last week, the telco announced that it was reviewing its headline prices in tandem with the increased VAT requirements by the Finance Bill 2018.
In the same week, the company announced a reduction of calling charges with new bundles that would give ‘more value’ to its customers.
Telkom was established as a telecommunications operator in April 1999.
It is 60 per cent owned by Helios Investment Partners with the remaining 40 per cent held by Kenyans through the government.