- The gas project delays costing East Africa billions
- How Zimbabwe’s lifting of import ban is boosting exports
- BAK opposed to Digital Asset Tax under Finance Bill 2023
- Under President Lula, Brazil rekindles trade ties with Africa
- A huge task awaits Kamau Thugge at the Central Bank of Kenya
- Forget GMOs, human action is fueling world hunger
- East African border towns a pain point for informal women traders
- BoT implements tough measures to curb inflation in Tanzania
- The Mobile Economy Sub-Saharan Africa 2022 report by GMSA has revealed that 214 mobile operators in 81 markets globally had launched commercial 5G services in September 2022
- 5G now accounts for nearly half of all mobile connections in South Korea while the network makes up a third of all connections in the US
- The adoption of 5G in Sub-Saharan Africa is, however, not as quick with full commercial 5G services only available in fewer than five countries across the region as of September 2022
A new report now shows that 214 mobile operators in 81 markets globally had launched commercial 5G services as of September 2022.
According to the Mobile Economy Sub-Saharan Africa 2022 report by GMSA, the popularity of 5G is steadily growing and becoming mainstream in pioneer markets.
The report noted that developed economies such as South Korea have witnessed high usage of the network. In fact, in …
- 5G is the world’s fifth generation of wireless technology
- The network is superior to other networks and is up to 100 times faster than 4G
- There have been no adverse health effects linked to exposure to wireless technologies
Kenya and many other countries around the world are currently working on availing the 5G network for their citizens.
The network, which is the fifth generation of cellular networks, is already being implemented in the East African nation, even though slowly.
So what exactly is 5G, and why should people care?
The Exchange Africa spoke exclusively with Oppo Kenya Product Manager Ernest Teigut to understand what exactly 5G is and why it is important as below:
What is 5G?
5G is the world’s fifth generation of wireless technology.
The network is superior to other networks and is up to 100 times faster than 4G. 5G provides higher speed, lower latency and greater …
Huawei puts China in a data superiority position in its involvement in countries’ sensitive information.
China is establishing dominance in digital models. In June, Nigeria banned and dumped Twitter in the country, and has drawn parallels with China in their censorship model development.
According to Abishek, the data centre in Senegal is one of the many being built by Chinese firms to help Africa keep up with social and economic changes that are pressuring the infrastructure on the continent. …
The 5th Generation mobile network launched in Madagascar by Telma Madagascar and Ericsson’s collaboration in 2020 was a landmark moment for technology advancement not only on the Indian Ocean island but for Africa too.
The launch on the 26th of June 2020 put Telma among the first operators in Africa to commercially go live with 5G, proving, yet again, that Telma is one of the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) pioneers in Africa.
The precedent set in nurturing partnerships between Ericsson and telecommunications service providers like Telma Madagascar has critical implications for the digital transformation that will propel Africa’s economy.
In the 20th edition of the Ericsson Mobility Report, the industry-leading projections and analyses of the latest trends in the mobile industry, the outlook for connectivity in Sub-Saharan Africa is bright. According to the report, mobile subscriptions will continue to grow through till 2026 and in the first quarter …