- Remembering the legacy of President Hage Geingob, a true African giant
- d.light and Chapel Hill Denham ink $7.4M deal for solar projects in Nigeria
- Nigeria’s Bold Offshore Gas Mining Plan to Cost $5b as It Eyes Supplies to Europe
- Communicating successfully: the pain points facing African startups in scaling up
- Kenya Faced Alarming Rise in Ransomware Attacks, AI Threats in 2023 – Kaspersky
- African Central Banks Unite to strengthen Intra-African Payment Systems
- Luxury Tourism in East Africa Boom as Global Chains Pump Millions in Investments
- Blockchain for Employment: Africa’s Leap into the Gig Economy
Author: The Exchange
- We provide economic news and analysis on the investment arena in Africa, with a particular interest in doing business. Our key areas of focus include banking, capital markets, energy, mining, manufacturing and industrial development.
- The transformative power of AI-powered innovation in empowering farmers with the tools and knowledge to protect their livelihoods and improve food security.
- Innovative solutions such as AI-powered climate information systems and blockchain technology for digital wallets are improving smallholder farmers’ productivity and driving their resilience.
- UN’s IFAD notes that innovation is not limited to cutting-edge technologies but can also be found in rural communities and among farmers themselves.
In Tanzania, AI-powered innovation is revolutionizing the agricultural industry, showcasing the immense potential of technology to drive resilience and productivity among smallholder farmers.
By leveraging an innovative app that analyzes images of pest-infected crops and provides locally available treatments, farmers have collectively saved an estimated US$100 million in lost crops.
This success story from Tanzania shared with the world during the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) 47th Governing Council in Rome, Italy, underscores the transformative power of AI-powered innovation in empowering …
- With cloud transformation enabling businesses to navigate challenges, adopt emerging technologies, and compete globally, Africa’s cloud-driven future holds great promise.
- A new survey shows that CEOs’ top cloud-enabled priorities over the next 12 months will include increasing productivity, improving profitability, saving costs, and enhancing stakeholder trust.
- Organizations that embrace cloud technologies strategically and swiftly will be better positioned to unlock value and drive innovation.
In a market of rapidly advancing technology, CEOs throughout Africa are strategically positioning their investments to secure a competitive advantage through emerging technologies, including generative AI, advanced analytics, and cloud transformation.
Among these, the linchpin for optimizing value is cloud transformation — the process of migrating work to the cloud, which can include data, apps, and software programs, and others.
What is cloud computing?
Cloud computing, as defined by Amazon Web Services (AWS), is a revolutionary approach to accessing and managing IT resources. It delivers computing …
- Opera MiniPay Momentum continues following the successful launch of MiniPay in Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana.
- MiniPay empowers users to save, send, and receive funds instantly on their mobile phones with very low transaction fees.
- With a mission to onboard millions of users to Web3 across Africa, Celo and Mento Labs aim to provide accessible financial tools through MiniPay embedded in Opera Mini.
In collaboration with Celo and Mento Labs, Opera has announced a significant achievement: surpassing 1 million users of the MiniPay wallet across Nigeria, Kenya, and Ghana markets.
This milestone for the global web innovator was marked today at the Africa Money and DeFi Summit, taking place on February 14-15 in Nairobi, Kenya.
Launched in 2006, Opera Mini has unique features such as data compression, offline file sharing, and a built-in ad-blocker. MiniPay is a self-custodial dollar stablecoin wallet seamlessly integrated into the Opera Mini browser for Android …
- Africa is experiencing a transformative era characterized by robust economic development, technological advancement, and a burgeoning creative industry.
- Many African countries are now experiencing rapid economic expansion, driven by a combination of factors including improved governance, increased foreign direct investment, and a growing middle class.
- Rapid adoption of mobile technology has transformed the continent, providing unprecedented access to financial services through mobile money platforms like M-Pesa, improving healthcare delivery, and enhancing agricultural productivity.
Africa is increasingly becoming a beacon of growth and potential in the global landscape. Amidst its rich cultural heritage and natural resources, the continent is experiencing a transformative era characterized by robust economic development, technological advancement, and a burgeoning creative industry.
This blog post delves into the multifaceted aspects of Africa’s growth trajectory, highlighting the significant progress and potential within its economies, technological innovation, and notably, the sports and entertainment sectors.
Economic Resilience and Development
Africa’s economic …
- The threat of SIM swap fraud looms large over South Africa’s telecommunications landscape.
- Strengthening identity verification practices is paramount to safeguarding consumers and preserving trust in the digital ecosystem.
- Operators need to define practical, robust security solutions that adhere to and surpass current telco legislation.
In today’s digital age, where mobile phones have become an indispensable part of everyday life, the threat of SIM swap fraud looms large over South Africa’s telecommunications landscape.
Gur Geva, founder and CEO of face authentication and identity verification platform , iiDENTIFii, underscores the critical importance for mobile networks to prioritize customer protection and combat this pervasive menace.
“While there has been a slight decline in reported SIM swap fraud cases, mobile service providers must remain vigilant and bolster their data security measures,” asserts Geva.
Despite strides in mitigating fraud, fraudsters continue to exploit vulnerabilities in identity verification processes, underscoring the imperative for enhanced …
- AfDB has seen over 3,235 children, originally entrenched in the exploitative DRC’s cobalt mines, receive training in agriculture practices.
- A total of 9,016 children, including 46.2% girls have been saved from the confines of DRC’s cobalt mines, liberated from the shackles of exploitation.
- AfDB is liberating DRC’s children from the exploitative cobalt mining cycle and providing them with viable alternatives for sustainable livelihoods.
In 2019, the Democratic Republic of Congo witnessed the start of a pivotal initiative to transform the lives of children and young individuals in the DRC’s cobalt supply chain.
The Support Project for the Alternative Welfare of Children and Young People Involved in the Cobalt Supply Chain, funded by the African Development Fund (AfDB) and the Transition Support Facility, was envisioned as a beacon of hope for thousands of children trapped in the perils of artisanal cobalt mining.
As the project nears its culmination in December …
- Being a latecomer to oil and gas development means that Namibia will be able to leverage innovations and technologies in carbon emission reductions.
- Namibia is well connected to the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region when it comes to power transmission and distribution.
- In an exclusive interview with Energy Capital & Power, Maggy Shino, Petroleum Commissioner of Namibia’s Ministry of Mines and Energy, discusses the country’s efforts to fast-track the development of breakthrough discoveries in the Orange Basin.
Q: What does the pathway to first oil look like for Namibia? Are there any updates on the technical and commercial viabilities of the recent discoveries?
Namibia has been on a roll since 2022, in that nearly every hole that has been drilled in the subsurface has yielded a positive indication of hydrocarbons. Between February 2022 and July 2023, we have had oil discoveries: the Graff-1, Jonker- 1X, La Rona-1 and Lesedi-1X …
- Choosing the right business structure is a crucial step toward setting up a successful venture in Tanzania, a country with vast natural resources.
- With various options available, it can be overwhelming to determine which one suits your needs and goals best.
- In this article, whether you’re considering a sole proprietorship, a public limited company, or a partnership, we’ve got you covered.
United Republic of Tanzania at a Glance:
2024 Projected Real GDP (% Change): 6.1
2024 Projected Consumer Prices (% Change): 4.
Country Population: 65.231 million
Source: International Monetary Fund (IMF)
Are you an aspiring entrepreneur in Tanzania? If so, choosing the right business structure in Tanzania is a crucial step toward setting up a successful venture. With various options available, it can be overwhelming to determine which one suits your needs and goals best. That’s where this blog comes in.
In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you …
- Before diving into the intricate details of the crypto market, it is imperative to educate yourself on what Bitcoin is, how blockchain technology works, and the underlying principles of decentralized finance.
- While Bitcoin remains the flagship cryptocurrency, diversifying your crypto portfolio can be a prudent move.
- Consider exploring alternative cryptocurrencies, commonly known as altcoins, to spread your risk across different assets.
In the ever-evolving landscape of the financial world, cryptocurrencies have emerged as a force to be reckoned with. Bitcoin, the pioneer in this digital currency revolution, has been making waves in the market.
As more investors and enthusiasts flock to the crypto space, it becomes crucial to navigate the volatile waters with a well-thought-out strategy. In this article, we’ll explore some strategies for success in the world of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
Understand the Basics: The Foundation of Success
Before diving into the intricate details of the crypto market, …
- The digital revolution has transformed how we approach education. Today, we have the world at our fingertips – literally.
- From researching to drafting and editing, every step of creating a college assignment can be enhanced with technology.
- Utilizing these resources saves time and ensures that your references are credible and up-to-date.
Navigating through the labyrinth of college assignments can be quite a challenge. It’s like being an explorer in the vast world of academia, where each assignment is a new territory to conquer.
But what if you had a map and compass in the form of technology? In today’s digital age, tech tools are not just accessories but essential allies in the quest for academic success.
The Digital Revolution in Education
Remember the days of poring over stacks of books in the library? While traditional methods are charming, the digital revolution has transformed how we approach education. Today, we have …