- Technology trends that will revolutionize Africa in 2023
- Kenya’s Equity Bank completes acquisition of Spire Bank
- Nigeria’s Union Bank gets $30Mn loan from IFC to lend to SMEs
- African countries open to cheaper flights to boost domestic travel
- Majority of Kenyans buy from companies with distinctive branding – Report
- Tapping into the potential of Africa’s music industry
- Breaking the Cycle: Strategies for Managing Black Tax
- US and Mozambique Agree on Key Components of Mozambique Compact
Author: Albert Nangara
- Cameroon exported 24,643 tons of bananas in December 2022 compared to 20,631 in 2021.
- According to the Cameroon Banana Association (ASSOBACAM) report, the sharp increase in banana exports in December 2022 is a result of the successful performances of Cameroon’s three main producers.
- Experts are racing against time to stop a new banana disease threatening banana plants in Africa.
The Cameroon Banana Association recently published data on the country’s banana exports. The data shows that the country exported 24,643 tonnes in December 2022, compared to 20,631 in the same period in 2021. This is an increase of 16.2 per cent year-on-year.
This upward performance is driven by three of the country’s main producers. Indeed, the market leader, Plantations du Haut Penja (PHP), a local subsidiary of the Compagnie fruitière de Marseille, reported an increase in exports in December 2022. The company exported a total of 19,572 tonnes compared to 17,677 …
Mushroom farming is quickly becoming one of the most lucrative agricultural activities in Africa. The continent is home to a wide variety of mushrooms, and the demand for these fungi is growing rapidly. In recent years, mushroom farming has become a major source of income for many African farmers, and the industry is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.
What is mushroom farming and how can it be profitable in Africa?
Mushroom farming is a relatively low-cost agricultural activity, and it can be done on a small scale. This makes it an attractive option for many African farmers who often lack access to large-scale agricultural operations. Additionally, mushrooms can be grown in a variety of climates and soils, making them suitable for many different parts of the continent.
The demand for mushrooms in Africa is growing rapidly. According to a recent report from the United Nations Food …
- German-based biotech company BioNTech is set to acquire InstaDeep, founded by a Tunisian-born and U.K.-based artificial intelligence (AI) startup, for up to £562 million (US$680 million) in its largest deal yet.
- The Tunis and London-based enterprise AI startup uses advanced machine learning techniques to bring AI to applications within an enterprise environment.
- The startup has offices in Paris, Tunis, Lagos, Dubai and Cape Town.
German pharmaceutical giant BioNTech announced it is acquiring Tunisian artificial intelligence start-up InstaDeep, in what is being hailed as a massive win for Africa’s tech ecosystem. The agreement is reportedly worth an estimated £582 million (US $682 million)
The two companies collaborated in 2020 to rapidly set up an intelligent system to detect Covid-19 variants, and this deal would accelerate BioNTech’s goal of harnessing the power of machine learning to improve the drug discovery process.
This acquisition is as a result of this long-term partnership that …
What if you could pay just a fraction of the cost of legal representation and you could get a lawyer who is not just experienced but also incredibly entertaining? And what if you could get this lawyer who is also a robot with a personality that is just as sharp as the best lawyer around?
Robots are becoming more and more a part of our daily lives. From household appliances and security systems to self-driving cars and personal assistants, robots are making our lives easier. In the future, robots could be more common than humans–and even lawyers. In a ‘historic’ first, an AI-powered ‘robot lawyer’ will defend a human in US court.
What is a robot lawyer?
A robot lawyer is a computer program that can provide legal advice and automate many of the tasks associated with the practice of law. Robot lawyers use artificial intelligence (AI) and natural language …
- A dividend is a portion of a company’s profits that is distributed to stockholders.
- The dividend dates include cum dividend date, ex-dividend date, the record date, and the dividend payment date.
- Knowledge about how and when dividends get disbursed helps ensure investors make informed decisions.
Investing in stocks can offer investors a number of benefits, such as the potential for long-term capital appreciation, the ability to diversify their portfolios and the potential for dividend income. Capital appreciation is the increase in the value of an asset over time and stocks can generate long-term capital appreciation if held for the long term. Diversification is the practice of spreading investments across different asset classes or types of investments, which can help reduce overall portfolio volatility. Dividend income is generated when a company pays out a portion of its profits to shareholders, and can provide a steady stream of income to investors.
- Africa has always been seen as a continent with untapped potential in the gaming industry.
- The continent is a rapidly growing market in the global gaming industry driven by the growing availability of affordable mobile devices.
- Africa’s gaming market is poised for growth, and businesses that are able to capitalize on this opportunity will be very successful.
Africa is one of the fastest-growing regions in the world, and the gaming market is no exception. The continent is home to a large population of gamers many of whom are looking for new and exciting gaming experiences.
Africa is a rapidly growing market in the global gaming industry. According to a 2020 report by NewZoo, Africa is the fifth-largest gaming market in the world, with a total gaming revenue of approximately US$3.3 billion in 2020. In addition to the growth in revenue, the number of gamers in Africa is also expected to …
- Sony Music Publishing (SMP) has launched its inaugural songwriting camp in West Africa.
- The programme, which started on January 5, 2023 will end on January 12.
- Artists can benefit from Sony Music Publishing Songwriting Camp in a variety of ways.
Sony Music Publishing (SMP) announced the launch of its inaugural songwriting camp in West Africa. The program, which began on January 5, 2023 and ends January 12, 2023 is an effort to support and drive growth opportunities for creative communities across Africa.
Led by SMP head of A&R, Wale Davies, the event will include sessions with renowned songwriters and artists such as Tems, Ladipoe, Lojay, GuiltyBeatz, Ozedikus, AV, Berwyn, Moon Willis, Jonny Coffer, Rymez among others. In addition to these interactive workshops there are also wellness activities as well as community outreach initiatives geared towards empowering upcoming generations of songwriters.
“It’s an honour to spearhead the inaugural Sony Music Publishing …
- Palm oil production continues to grow each year, driven by increasing global demand.
- The main producing countries are Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and Colombia.
- In addition, the production of palm oil is also increasing in other countries, such as Nigeria, Brazil, and Ecuador.
The demand for palm oil is on the rise, and Africa is positioned to benefit from it. Palm oil production has been steadily increasing in recent years, with African countries such as Nigeria, Ghana and Ivory Coast leading the way. However, there are still many challenges that need to be addressed if Africa wants to close the gap between its current production levels and global demand for palm oil.
One of the challenges lies in infrastructure development within African countries. Adequate roads must be built so that farmers can transport their produce easily across borders. Access to finance needs to be fast-tracked so that farmers can invest more …
The African continent is home to some of the most beautiful and diverse countries in the world. From its vast deserts and savannas to its lush rainforests, Africa has something for everyone. But what many people don’t know is that Africa has great potential as a medical tourism hub.
Medical tourism refers to travelling abroad for medical care or treatments not available at home or which are more expensive there than elsewhere. With this in mind, it’s easy to see why Africa could become an attractive destination for those seeking quality healthcare services at lower costs than they would find back home.
Medical tourists mainly seek services related to cosmetic surgery, fertility treatments, dental work, orthopaedics, and cardiac care. These services are often sought due to their relative affordability in the destination country and the expertise and high quality of care that can be found in some of these countries. …
- African countries are important producers of initial inputs but do not participate much in intermediary steps required to produce the final product.
- Fortunately, AI (Artificial Intelligence) can offer solutions across these areas by helping improve operational efficiency by automating mundane tasks.
- Africa’s manufacturing sector contributes significantly to the continent’s economy, providing employment, generating income, and driving development.
Africa is a continent with an abundance of natural resources and potential for economic growth, yet its manufacturing value chain is still lagging behind other regions in the world. With limited access to capital, technology, and skilled labor, African countries are struggling to keep up with the global competition. In recent years there has been increased focus on how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can help bridge this gap by providing new opportunities for Africa’s manufacturing sector.
The first step towards leveraging AI in Africa’s manufacturing industry lies in understanding the gaps that need to …