Browsing: manufacturing

Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM) has signed a partnership deal with Ajua with an aim to drive the uptake of Kenyan made goods and unlock markets for local manufacturers.

Through Ajua, Africa’s first Integrated Customer Experience Company, the platform looks to drive feedback through the entire value chain from consumer to manufacturers.

Some of the biggest challenges holding back manufacturers in today’s market include reduced demand for their goods. This has forced up to 42% of manufacturers to cut production to less than half their capacity according to a report by KAM and KPMG. Manufacturers are also struggling to find the necessary tools to understand value chain connections and operate their businesses competitively. As the economy reopens, manufacturers need to quickly identify their key vulnerabilities and establish strong frameworks around their supply chains as they plan for their recovery post-COVID.

Also Read: Kenya’s manufacturing sector gears up for the reopening

Twiga Cement

Twiga Cement (TPCC on the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange) on Friday, May 22, 2020, released its Annual Report and audited accounts for the year ended 2019. Revenues grew 6% and net profits rose 5% in 2019 from the year earlier. Dividends were steady at TZS 290 per share for the third year running.  

Twiga is the dominant cement company in Tanzania. It is the 19th-biggest company overall in East Africa by market value and the fifth-biggest in Tanzania, according to the latest African Business rankings. 

The company is a subsidiary of German multinational Heidelberg Cement, which owns 69.3%. The other 30.7% trades on the DSE and is owned by thousands of small shareholders and investment funds.  

Twiga has a huge competitive advantage over the other cement industry players in Tanzania, because its production facilities are on the outskirts of Dar es Salaam. Cement is heavy and expensive

Boat building in South Africa - The Exchange

The City of Cape Town has announced a range of measures to support the local boat building industry to position it as a premier global hub for this fast-growing industry.

Cape Town is the largest boat building city in South Africa and the second largest producer of recreational catamarans globally.


“Cape Town’s boat building industry has grown by 28.8 per cent year-on-year since 2012,” the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Economic Opportunities and Asset Management, James Vos, said at an event this week. “The industry exports 90 per cent of the products produced and attracts a positive trade balance of around US$73 million (over R1 billion) annually.

“The 40-plus boat yards and 3,500 specialist staff produce award-winning super-yachts,” he said. “The city is home to 70 per cent of South Africa’s boat builders.”

Vos said the City was keen to support sectors such as the boat building sector …